Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Understanding Bass Sense of Taste and Smell

Sometimes I believe that this whole world is geared toward having everything that we want immediately. I am the same way. I see something interesting online, then I want it now, not later, now. Fishing seems to be the same way. We all go out fishing wanting to catch a fish immediately. However, many times this will not be the case. Especially for the weekend angler. Fishing on the weekends already puts you at a disadvantage because of all the other fishermen. But then to add to your disadvantage, you go out trying to fish as fast as possible so you can hurry up and catch a fish. Or maybe you try to beat everybody to that great fishing whole. There's nothing wrong with this, but I think sometimes this can hurt our chances of catching fish.Sometimes we should just slow down. I am a firm believer that there are more bass around any fishing location than we will ever know. I just think that they have to be tricked into biting sometimes. Other times they might just kill any lure you throw at them. More often than not, I think that we just overlook bass because they do not bite with our first cast. I have countless stories of when I have casted at one place for up to an hour or more and didn't catch anything. I'm talking about just one little spot that is probably 20 feet wide. But I knew that fish should be there, so I just stayed. And then I was finally rewarded with a 5 lb bass. That has happened so many times I couldn't tell you all of them. I would challenge you that next time you go fishing and you are in a location that you know should have some fish, just try to slow down a little. Try casting at the same location for a while. Just put that trolling motor on low so you will not be tempted to go anywhere and sit. You might just be surprised at what will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment